Friday, March 31, 2006

I am a Victim and a Statistic

**I wrote the following for a class discussion board. The topics on the board are open ended and the material is kept pretty informal. The following is in no way academic but it should be interesting to read anyway. I think it, at least, tells a sad but sickly amusing story… all at my sake too, which makes it more fun, right? ***


So, this is a random story, but it is true- and it happened to me- so it should be easy to write about and so I will…

I woke up on Thursday morning with the noble intention of running before class. I am a pretty active person and, while this isn’t something I routinely do, it is not beyond me to wake up early to do something like this. Around six in the morning, I got into my car to drive to a parking lot on Amberly Drive- which, from there, I normally run around the entire circle and then come back home. However, it didn’t work out like that on this particular morning….

I got into my car and instantly noticed that all of the contents of my counsel were spread out on my passenger seat. Along with those items was some sort of mechanical object that I couldn’t exactly identify at first glance. Pretty quickly, I became aware that someone had broken into my car. I thought back to my younger days and- assuming that at some point in my past (HYPOTHETICALLY – haha) that I had ever broken into a vehicle- I thought of how I (*would*) had done it. I would have thrown the metal object that was sitting in my passenger seat through one of the windows to gain entry.

I examined all my windows and there wasn’t a single sign of damage. After that revelation, I quickly recognized that the metal object sitting on my passenger seat wasn’t used to bust into the car but rather, it was actually a part of my car. I observed it more closely and it became obvious that it was my car’s ignition. The thief, or in this case the “attempted” thief, had successfully broken into my car through the trunk and removed my ignition. With this step being completed, all he would have to do to start the car would be to manually flip the ignition using a screwdriver- which I later proved true. His only failure was the lack of knowing that, while the car would start with a screwdriver, it had a theft deterrent that disabled it from moving when started via this method: basically, if anything but the key is in the ignition, the car shuts down when you manipulate the transmission.

I called the cops and they were surprisingly thorough in their investigation and promptness. I called my insurance company who, also, surprised me with their thoroughness and quick action. There is a very simple point to be abstracted from this sad tale and it is one that I think very clearly describes my character. I was at no point upset that my car was broken into. Nor was I upset when I found out that the vandal had gotten away with my digital camera and all my C.D.’s. Oh well. I was even cool with gaining the knowledge that I am going to have to drop the 500 dollar deductible to Ferman Chrysler when the repairs are completed. I guess, more or less, “stuff happens.” However, I was and continue to be absurdly upset that I missed the opportunity to go to the gym yesterday because I was dealing with the situation. More so, I was absolutely disheartened to be confined to the apartment all day, playing Playstation and living the life of a homebody. I know people that sit in their apartments all day, every day doing little more then watching television. I ask you, how can anyone enjoy a life like this???? AAAAHHHHH!!!! I need my car back!!!! NOW!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home