Friday, April 21, 2006

Concerning Oil

***Prior to writing the following, my class had discussed synthetically produced diamonds on a philosophy discussion board. A few weeks later a related thought crossed my mind. That thought is described below (this is also what I posted on the same philosophy discussion board mentioned above).***





In a previous thread, we were discussing human produced diamonds. This got me thinking: isn't oil (you know, like the liquid that we use to energize our... well... our everything, actually) created in somewhat the same manner as diamonds? And, if so, couldn't we produce artificial oil that is nearly identical to the original substance much the same way that we create the faux diamonds? Now, I understand the potential pitfalls of this theory- namely the lack of the ability to be able to mass produce the oil substance, but- you know- with the right know-how and the needed tools, I could probably produce enough oil to substantially meet my own needs, right?

And, anyway, what's the big deal with oil anyway? The reason that it is so precious is because it is intensely combustible, right? The intense heat that it produces is what moves all the working pieces in the engines and stuff, right? Or, is there something I am missing? And, if I am not missing something, isn't it kind of crazy that we can't just create a synthetic substance that is just as combustible and useful as oil. I mean, we have artificial sweetner that tastes and looks like sugar and olestra in chips that tastes and acts alot like fat, but we can't make fake oil?? Hmmmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home